New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Alternative ways to make money with coding and system skills?

Ask HN: Alternative ways to make money with coding and system skills?
28 by tayo42 | 11 comments on Hacker News.
The thought of returning to corporate working kind of disgusts me. daily meetings, middle management bs, politics, bureaucracy... im sure your familiar with the typical complaints. Ive realized I don't seem to have any money generating skills, the only thing I seem actually be good at is making money for other people. So im wondering if anyone has been able to use their coding skill to make a living that isn't working in a business. Things ive tried and thought about(please correct anything that seems wrong!): monetizing hobbies - I see why people don't recommend this, im not good enough anyway. to old to go pro at sports, not good enough or have credentials to teach. coding tutoring and teaching - i tried this on codementor.io, there's more mentors then people needing help, its competitive and doesn't pay much when you consider how much extra work goes into it. I also don't have a CS degree so it doesn't seem like I can teach at a school. Maybe there are better ways to teach? bug bounty chasing - I thought this would be easier then it really is. i guess its like a whole different skill set, interesting as a hobby but its going to take to long to get good. and its competitive make a company or sell a thing software thing - I can code up my dream ideas with ease, what i don't know how to do is market anything or get users. seems to be another skill that will take months and maybe not even turn out to do anything freelance - compared to just working rates seem low and its hard to find work from what ive seen If you have cool ideas or something worked out for you, id be interested in hearing them! Otherwise I need to get working on a resume, id rather not!

No comments:

Post a Comment