New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Startup idea – disconnected, physical space charged by hour

Ask HN: Startup idea – disconnected, physical space charged by hour
8 by chouchinhua | 3 comments on Hacker News.
Hi, first time posting here. I'd appreciate any feedback. I've been considering this startup idea for couple years now. The idea is an internet-free and screen-free space that allows the user to do "deep work", read, deliberate, or just do nothing. It's essentially a hotel room, but only bookable for one person, for a few hours only. There is no internet provided, and cellular signal is blocked. Alternatively (if blocking cellular signal is infeasible), users are asked to turn over their devices at the counter or have the devices "locked" in a "faraday box" for the stay duration. In the room, distraction and stimulation is kept to the minimum. No screens or ads allowed in the room; and the view from the window would be calming and non-stimulating. The idea is borne out of my exhaustion of living in a hyperdense Asia city, where I am always surrounded by sensory pollutions such as advertisements, city noises, as well as constant phone notifications. I am also the victim of my own internet addictions. To stay focus, I've tried to work in coffee shops. Although I'm generally productive in coffees shops, I often find I couldn't really fully relax or "be myself" in a public space. I tried "staycation" in a real hotel, but the check-in is complicated, the cost is high, and the room is designed more toward leisure and entertainment. It usually lacks a good desk, a good chair; and the high-speed internet is too enticing. Specifically, the space is provided to those who would block out hours from their calendar for "reading" or "writing" but constantly fail to protect that commitment. More broadly, my intuition is that "traveling" to a dedicated offline zone once in a while may be as beneficial as traveling to a different country. I realize the idea is rather unrefined, and not very "tech." But I'd love to know HN community's thoughts on it. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment