New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How do I lead a team whom I have no confidence?

Ask HN: How do I lead a team whom I have no confidence?
18 by toqti | 35 comments on Hacker News.
I'm lead on a small team of web developers. The other members consist of: A Maverick who insists they know what they are doing but clearly don't and won't admit it. Going so far as to add concepts to the code that don't belong (or work for that matter), applying shiny new ideas from stackoverflow that bog down the system where a simple line will suffice. Hour long tasks for them take a whol work week because of back and forth with PR comments. The other member is a copy paster who will grab anything from anywhere (old projects, the web) and paste it in and expect something to happen (it doesn't). I'm going on vacation and all PR's require my approval. I dread the mess I will have to sift through when I get back, could push the project back weeks. What can I do in this situation? I'm sure there are many thoughts going through your mind regarding the team and perhaps my lack of managment skills but I am only lead on the project, I don't manage people. My boss trusts my judgement and is aware of the situation but he is not technical enough to take over the code reviews. Is there a possible solution to this without adversely affecting the porject? Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment