New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How can I make a “kid's computer” today as good as an Apple II?

Ask HN: How can I make a “kid's computer” today as good as an Apple II?
17 by qq66 | 14 comments on Hacker News.
When I was a kid, I had an Apple II with a BASIC interpreter, Print Shop Pro to make really cool cards and banners, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego to learn about geography, Pinball Construction Set, Number Munchers, Oregon Trail, and LOGO for programming the turtle. Today I can't see a way of giving my kids a computer like that, where there are a lot of open-ended ways to create. The iPad games are too directly educational, or mindless, and great creative experiences don't seem available on desktop or iPad suitable for early elementary schoolers. Any suggestions here? I will be happy to pay $.

No comments:

Post a Comment