New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: My client want an agent on my laptop. Is this the new normal?

Ask HN: My client want an agent on my laptop. Is this the new normal?
31 by illud_tempus | 36 comments on Hacker News.
I work from home in the EU as a freelancer for a US startup. A few days ago, an email came out of the blue, demanding that I install an "agent" from a company named "Drata"* on my laptop. The motivation is that my client badly want a SOC 2 certification. I have worked as a developer for more than 30 years. Tiny shops. Startups. Major league. I have never even heard about someone putting agents on developers laptops. I'm pretty pissed off. So are the teams I work with. Is this the new normal now? Just for the record: I don't have credentials to production systems, and I don't work with production data. I just figure out how to transform dreams into code, I write parts of that code, and then I fix it as needed. * Drata (https://drata.com/about) is on a "Mission to Help Build Trust Across the Internet". Their business model (in my case) seems to be to take money from companies to spy on their employees/contractors, and then they sell the employees/contractors private information to "targeted advertising". When I confronted them about this, they replied: "Feel free to reach out to your Drata administrator internally with concerns. Do note, that when your company contracted with Drata, any edits or redlines they provided will prevail for all employees of your company." - basically to just bend over and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment