New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Is learning math useful to be a good computer scientist?

Ask HN: Is learning math useful to be a good computer scientist?
6 by matnar | 2 comments on Hacker News.
A few days ago, I read that math is not that much important of you want to be a computer scientist. I read this sentence as a provocation and caught me so much that I'm still thinking about it. I studied math and computer science and I strongly believe that having a math background helps you a lot to reason about a problem and formalize the solution. I do believe math can help you to implement some clean code, e.g., that solves a problem without a bunch of if else statements (or to identify state machines where they are not so easily spotted). In my experience, math helped me a lot, even though so far I never implemented compilers, interpreters or defined new languages (tasks where most of scientists agree that having a math background helps). What do you think: is learning math useful to be a good computer scientist?

No comments:

Post a Comment