New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: You cannot delete comments posts or your account on HN. Concerned?

Ask HN: You cannot delete comments posts or your account on HN. Concerned?
42 by headShrinker | 11 comments on Hacker News.
Today I found out after 11 years on this platform there is no way to delete anything you create and post, including the account itself on Hacker News. This seems strange and ironic considering a lot of our online comments revolve around data privacy, individual rights and the right to be forgotten. I have deleted Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and reddit accounts my life has dramatically improved. However I am unable to delete my hacker news account... leaving me wondering what is the status of my online data and status on this network. Clearly it is meant to be permanent. I wonder if you knew nothing is deletable here, and if knowing at some point you might want to, you’d regret existing on and supporting a network that will profit or benefit from your content in perpetuity without input from you. Meanwhile they reserve extravagant rights to flag censor and ban any content you post at their discretion indicating they’re fully willing to remove content that they disapprove of. My opinion: you should be upset that this platform/network is benefiting off you and not allowing you the rights and benefits to delete and control your own content... Much less paying you for the content you provide. I have emailed HN@ycombinator.com and they don’t respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment